The Top Ten Most Populated Countries on the Planet
Do you know that china alone has about 21% of the world population? And that India also has 20% of the world population? Put together these two countries have about 41% of the world population. Do you also know Nigeria is the 7th largest country? And also the 1st largest in Africa. In this article, we will be looking into the top 10 most populated countries on the planet.
- 1 Why is a country’s population important?
- 2 The world’s 10 most populated countries on the planet
Why is a country’s population important?
Every country must know the number and composition of its population, including aspects such as age and gender ratio. This makes it easier to estimate how many schools, clinics, hospitals, and jobs a country will require. Rapid population expansion is harmful to economic and social progress, as well as to the long-term management of natural resources.
The world’s 10 most populated countries on the planet
#1 China (1.44 billion)
China’s Han Chinese make up roughly 90% of the country’s population. The Uyghurs, with a population of over 10 million people, and the Tibetans, with a population of over 3 million, are the two largest ethnic groups in China.
#2 India (1.37 billion)
The country is also known as Bharat, and it is Asia’s and the world’s second-most populous country. In India, there are hundreds of ethnic groups, but the Indian Constitution recognizes 22 languages. With a population of 200 million people, Uttar Pradesh is India’s most populous state.
#3 USA (333 million)
The current population of the United States of America is 333,860,677 as of 2021, according to Worldometer’s elaboration of the most recent United Nations data. The United States’ population is around 331,002,651 people by the middle of 2020, according to UN forecasts. The United States also has a population of 4.25 percent of the world’s population.
#4 Indonesia (277 million)
Indonesia’s current population is 277,780,937 as of 2021, according to Worldometer’s elaboration of the most available United Nations data. The population is to reach 273,523,615 people by 2020, according to UN forecasts. Indonesia’s population accounts for 3.51 percent of the world’s total. Furthermore, Indonesia is the fourth most populous country in the world.
#5 Pakistan (220.9 million)
The total population in Pakistan was estimated at 221.0 million people in 2020, according to the latest census figures and projections from Trading Economics. The population of Pakistan represents 2.56 percent of the world´s total population which arguably means that one person in every 39 people on the planet is a resident of Pakistan.
#6 Brazil (212.6 million)
Brazil is the largest country in both South America and Latin America. At 8.5 million square kilometers and with over 212 million people, Brazil is the world’s fifth-largest country by area and the sixth-most populous. The main factor behind the rapid population growth since 1960 is immigration both from Europe and Africa, as well as other parts of the world.
#7 Nigeria (202 million)
According to UN estimates, Nigeria’s population in 2022 would be 206,139,589. Nigeria has a population of 2.64 percent of the world’s total population. Nigeria is ranked seventh in terms of population among countries. In comparison to the previous year, the population increased by 2.58 percent. In addition, Nigeria is Africa’s most populous country.
#8 Bangladesh (167 million)
Bangladesh is located in the Indo-Gangetic belt’s lowest reaches. It is a very fruitful region, which is one of the main reasons for the high population density. Bangladesh also has one of the fastest-growing populations in the world. The promotion of birth control began in the 1880s, and the birth rate has been reduced since then.
#9 Russia (145 million)
The current population of Russia in 2021 is 145,912,025, a 0.02% decline from 2020. The population of Russia in 2020 was 145,934,462, a 0.04% increase from 2019. Previous government reports showed Russia’s population decline in 2020 was 11 times greater than that of the pre-pandemic 2019.
#10 Mexico (129 million)
Mexico 2020 population is estimated at 128,932,753 people. Mexico’s population is also equivalent to 1.65% of the total world population.